Saturday, March 24, 2018

SERMON - PSALM 23

Psalm 23


Psalm 23 is perhaps the very first Psalm that I memorized as a child. To me Psalm 23 was more of a prayer than a song of praise to God. My Granddad read it to me and assisted me in learning it and its meaning. 

Over the years of attending churches I have heard many sermons based on this Psalm. Each was well delivered and I loved them all. Upon the deaths of each of my parents I had the opportunity to deliver talks at each memorial service. I each I read Psalm 23 as it seemed extremely appropriate for the occasion. 

With this in mind I will now edify God’s Word as written in Psalm 23.


Psalm 23 (NKJV) A Psalm of David. The Lord is my shepherd. I shall not want. He makes me to lie down in green pastures. He leads me beside the still waters. He restores my soul; He leads me in the paths of righteousness for His names sake. Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil; for You are with me; Your rod and Your staff, they comfort me. You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies; You anoint my head with oil; my cup runs over. Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life; and I will dwell in the house of the Lord forever.

Jehovah Roi, the Lord my Shepherd. Who is Lord? Both John and Hebrews tell us.

John 10:1…”I am the Good Shepherd…”

Hebrews 13:20 …Jesus is the great Shepherd

I shall not want

God provides our every need. Refreshment, guidance, protection and He provides us with the confidence of His perpetual favor through Salvation.

He makes me lie down in green pastures; He leads me beside the still waters. 
This tells us that He will provide rest, cool and refreshing places of rest and there will be waters of stillness whose quiet flow invite repose. In contrast the waters will not be boisterous streams nor will they be stagnant pools.

He restores my soul. 

To restore is to revive or to quicken. In this statement we are assured that He will ease our burden and lift our hearts!

He leads me to the paths of righteousness for His names sake

He will steer us to a place of safety even in what appears to be our darkest hours. He is faithful to His children.

Yea Though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death; Your rod and Your staff, they comfort me.

 The valley of the shadow of death can be seen as a dark ravine leading to a dense forest well calculated to inspire fear to the timid soul. Sin, temptation, wickedness all exist, but the Lord, our Shepherd, wields a rod and a staff which will fend off anything that seeks to make us fall. We need only to trust God and call on Him in times of need. It is the Shepherd’s rod and staff that are used to guide us as well as protect us.

You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies. 

God will provide a great feast for His children as the children of Satan look on in envy yet helpless to do us harm.  His table will hold the ‘food’ for our spirits. This ‘food’ shall sustain us spiritually.

You anoint my head with oil. My cup runs over

So great are the blessings that the Lord will bestow on His children that there will be no room for any to give us anything we need. God will provide for our every need and every wish. 

Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life and I will dwell in the house of the Lord forever. 

This promise lets us know that all the Scripture contained in Psalm 23 refer to our spiritual welfare and if we trust God, take Him as our Shepherd who both rules us and provides our ‘food,’ we will spend eternity in His house!

Is there anything better? I think not.

(Closing prayer)

Father, Almighty God, our Shepherd, we praise You and exalt You. You are our God and we worship You. We thank You for the Word You have given us and Lord, the happiness You bestow upon us is truly awesome. All glory is Yours.

Lord please help us in our journey through this life that is fraught with dangers to our physical bodies as well to our spirits. Protect us and deliver us from evil. Strengthen our resolve to do Your bidding and only Your bidding. Be with us at all times.

Father, please bless our sons and daughters of our armed forces, keep them safe. Be ever in their hearts and minds. Be in the hearts and minds of our elected officials and guide their paths. Protect our government offices that have the duty to protect us from harm. See them as Your assistants and guide them. Protect our police and our judiciary. Have them do their duties in such a manner as to be pleasing to You.

Father, we ask all of these things in the name of Your Son, Jesus Christ, who is One with You and the Holy Spirit, One God forever and ever,

Amen, amen and amen.


-- 
Pastor Lee S Gliddon Jr
God's Word Christian Ministry
Conservative Patriot http://conpats.blogspot.com

No comments:

Post a Comment