Friday, January 1, 2021

The WILD women who ruled the West

 Submitted by: W.G.E.N.

I was a bit surprised to find this on this mornings stop at The Jackson Press.  Not sure what year I wrote this item. What is funny to me is that yesterday I was thinking about getting back to working on my family history and sorting more of the boxes of pictures I have yet to go thru and pass on to the younger members of this family.   I think this was hitting me because tomorrow - Jan 2nd - I will turn 81 years young and I had better get these things done before I stop turning another year over.    I have a Tee Shirt that someone gave me some years ago that has the head of a Bald Eagle with my  name over the top of the head and under the birds head  "A Tough Old Bird".  Guess that 'TOUGH trait'  has continued thru many generations in my family.

Jackie Juntti

idzus@earthlink.net

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


http://thejacksonpress.org/?p=68086

| January 1, 2021, 6:00 AM

The WILD women who ruled the West

In my family ancestors  —   Calamity Jane   aka  Martha Jane Cannary

In my family history research it was a surprise to learn that Calamity Jane was one of the limbs in my family tree – the branch that my maternal grandfather was from.

Just as it was a surprise to learn that on my Paternal branches was Andrew J. Still who created and taught the medical practice, Osteopathy.   https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andrew_Taylor_Still

With thanks to Dean Isaacson for creating and maintaining this web page on a portion of my Daddy’s life – his rodeo days – stunt man in Tom Mix movies, and other  pictures of events in my family.  http://jackcase.com/jack-case/  Click on the photo’s – each one is separate.

One never knows ones relatives until you start digging thru history – many fun and some not so fun discoveries.  What is fun is to see some of their *traits* in your own life  —  real or not  hahahahaha

I hope this will bring some relief from the misery that is filling the news – real and Fake.

Then play some relaxing music in the background – By Bronn Journey   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7_A-faZXGjM

Jackie Juntti
WGEN  idzrus@earthlink.net

Phil 4:6   Be anxious for nothing; but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known unto God.


The WILD women who ruled the outlaws of the West: Stunning photographs capture the madams and prostitutes of the 1880s frontier who would stop at nothing to make their MILLIONS

  • Mary Katharine Haroney, or better known as Big Nose Kate was a prostitute favored by Doc Holliday 
  • Mattie Blaylock was a prostitute who was inolved with the famous Old West lawman and gambler Wyatt Earp 
  • Belle Brezing from Lexington, Kentucky was said to be the model for Belle Watling in Gone with the Wind
  • Mattie Silks made the equivalent of $1 million over the period of three months in Dawson City in Alaska

From famous outlaws to inspiration for Gone With The Wind, these are the notorious prostitutes and madams who ruled the men of the wild west.

Prostitutes – or ‘soiled doves’ and ‘sportin’ women’ as they were commonly known – were a fixture in western towns and cities. Almost without exception, pioneer mining camps, boomtowns and whistles-stops became home to at least one or two hookers – if not a roaring red light district.

And these fascinating images taken in the 19th century show some of the most famous scarlet women of the time – who would go on to become millionaires, national heroes and outlaws.

Big Nose Kate, pictured here aged 15, left, broke
                her lover Doc Holliday out of jail in 1877 by setting a
                fire and pulling a gun on a guard

Big Nose Kate, pictured here aged 15, left, broke her lover Doc Holliday out of jail in 1877 by setting a fire and pulling a gun on a guard Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4607178/America-s-wild-west-prostitutes-uncovered.html#ixzz4kAGQThGw Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

Read More

Related

Jack Case archive: Rex, the Wonder Horse

Book outline on Jack W. Case

January 20, 2014

In "People"

No comments:

Post a Comment