Sunday, July 12, 2020

FLORIDA - DUNN DISPATCH 07/12/2020

 ContactIssuesServicesAbout 

NEWS FROM THE SECOND DISTRICT

Dear Friend,
This week, I made several stops within the district where I engaged in thoughtful discussions with local leaders and law enforcement from Liberty, Calhoun, Holmes, Jackson, and Washington Counties. These visits allowed me to gather more information on what is needed to recover from the current pandemic/quarantine and to improve safety for all constituents. Each county is different, and each community has different needs. That’s why these visits are especially important to me. I need to hear from you what those needs are and how I can best help our communities meet them.

Meanwhile, in Washington, D.C., the U.S. Supreme Court issued a decision that was a huge win for the sanctity of life and religious liberty. Earlier this year, my colleagues and I urged the Supreme Court to end the Obama-era mandates that have been strangling religious groups for far too long. The government forcing religious groups to go against their principles is unconstitutional. Thankfully, the Supreme Court agreed. You can read my full statement here.

Whether I’m in the district or Washington, D.C., I’m committed to fighting for you. Our area has been through a lot of change in the past two years, but we cannot let that distract us from protecting our Constitutional rights and our communities. Protecting and serving my constituents comes first, and always will.

Please read about my week below:

My Week in the DistrictMeeting with Local Leaders & Business Owners
Image
It was good to be back in the Sunshine State this week. On Tuesday, I dropped in for a meeting with Sheriff Eddie Joe White in Bristol to discuss how I can continue to help the people of Liberty County and his office. Afterward, I went over to the Liberty County Clerk of Court’s office, where I met with Kathy Brown and Judge Ken Hosford to discuss public land usage and the Apalachicola National Forest post-Hurricane Michael. I also stopped in to thank the team at Calhoun Liberty Employees Credit Union for their generous donations and community support throughout the past few months.   

Calhoun County Commissioner Gene Bailey and I then sat down with Kristy Terry at the Calhoun County Commission Chamber to discuss their local issues. The last stop of the day was at Stoutamire Insurance, where I spoke with Bill Stoutamire about how we can help with insurance claims from Hurricane Michael.
Image
On Thursday, I traveled through Holmes, Washington, and Jackson County to visit with local officials and business leaders. During my visits, we discussed ongoing Hurricane Michael recovery, rural broadband initiatives, and how federal legislation targeting COVID-19 is working at the local level. I also received updates from our local law enforcement as they continue to work tirelessly to keep our communities safe.
Image
I took some time on Thursday to check out one of our local craft breweries that have been impacted by the COVID-19 pandemic. Southern Fields Brewing in Campbellton was founded by three young men whose families were deeply hurt by Hurricane Michael. They used the trees that had fallen on their homes and property with their own home sawmill to build out a restaurant/bar in an old hayloft that had formerly been a bank. The woodwork is beautiful, and the long bar must be seen to be appreciated. Although they’re currently shut down due to COVID quarantine, my office is working to get them some assistance to reopen. This great bunch of guys has turned the negativity of a hurricane into a positive, and they deserve a fair shot at achieving their dream. If your business needs help recovering from COVID-19, please contact my office here.

I want to take a moment to thank all of you for taking the time to chat with me this week. I cannot fight for you in D.C. if I don’t know what is important to you in our district. You all are essential in helping me better represent our area.
Committee UpdatesVeterans Affairs Committee
Prostate cancer is the number one cancer diagnosed in the Department of Veterans Affairs. As a urologist and veteran, this issue is of the utmost importance to me. I’ve filed H.R. 6092, Veterans Prostate Cancer Treatment and Research Act, as an amendment to the National Defense Authorization Act for Fiscal Year 2021 (NDAA).

This bill/amendment would improve screenings and early detection. In addition, it would open doors for innovation so our veterans can receive top-of-the-line care. This would also create a national prostate cancer registry that will boost our chances at finding successful treatments.

Our veterans have given everything for our country. The last thing they need is to face yet another enemy. This amendment will help save lives and give these brave individuals more time with their families.
Coronavirus UpdatesRecent Updates 
  • This week, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration urged consumers not to purchase or use a product known as “Mineral Miracle Solution” (MMS), explaining that drinking MMS is the same as drinking bleach and can cause dangerous side effects, including severe vomiting, diarrhea, and life-threatening low-blood pressure. The Genesis II Church of Health and Healing and four individual defendants associated with the entity are currently facing punishment for distributing this fake product. We’re all anxious to find a cure for COVID-19, but PLEASE stay cautious. If we find a cure, I promise you that you will hear from me as soon as I receive the information. Until then, continue to take the proper precautions: washing your hands, practicing physical distancing, wearing a mask in crowded indoor facilities, and stay at home if you feel ill.
  • Panama City Channel 13 (WMBB) has released an interactive map that lists testing facilities in Bay County and the surrounding area. NOTE: Many locations are by appointment only. Find the map and testing information here.
  • The Florida Department of Health has issued a video showing the proper way to wear and care for face masks should you choose to wear them when you cannot practice physical distancing. Check out the video here
Thank you for your continued energy and enthusiasm, as reflected in your letters and Facebook posts. If you haven’t already, LIKE my Facebook page. You can also follow me on Twitter @DrNealDunnFL2.
Thank you for the opportunity to serve you in Congress!
Sincerely,

Dr. Neal Dunn
Member of Congress
 
IN THE NEWS

Constituent Casework Corner
My office was contacted after the Social Security Administration (SSA) made an erroneous change that interfered with a constituent’s ability to care for their elderly parent. SSA changed the payee representative to the assisted living facility and refused to change the designated payee representative back to the constituent after being presented with a power of attorney. We were able to work with SSA to have the issue escalated, reviewed, and the payee representative corrected and changed back to the constituent.







Do you need help with a federal agency? Contact my office at 850-785-0812 or at www.dunn.house.gov
 
 Washington D.C. Office316 Cannon House Office Building
Washington, DC 20515
Tel: (202) 225-5235
Fax: (202) 225-5615
Panama City Office840 W. 11th St. Suite 2250
Panama City, FL 32401
Tel: (850) 785-0812
Fax: (850) 763-3764
 Tallahassee Office300 South Adams Street
Tallahassee, FL 32301
Tel: (850) 891-8610
Fax: (850) 891-8620

No comments:

Post a Comment