Monday, July 8, 2019

LAS VEGAS - MICHELE FIORE, COUNCILWOMAN WARD 6 NAMED 'MAYOR PRO-TEM!'

Dear Friends & Family,

Pictured above is our new City Council photo with our three new members; Councilwomen Seaman and Diaz and Councilman Knudsen.


             

While it is a real honor to be named Mayor Pro Tem, the recognition is a little sweeter for me because it is coming from my mentor and our extraordinary Mayor, Carolyn Goodman. As members of the Las Vegas City Council, we are elected to represent the citizens of our respective Wards, however, we serve all the citizens of Las Vegas. I am genuinely excited by the opportunities as Mayor Pro Tem to expand that service into all the areas of our great city. I will apply the same tireless work ethic I employ in Ward 6 to this new position so I may prove myself worthy of the faith that Mayor Goodman has placed in me. I also want to thank my Council colleagues for the unanimous vote of approval and confidence.


On July 3rd, our new Council members were sworn in.  It was a great Council day and a new beginning. Not since 1941 have as many new Council-members been sworn in at once.

Councilman Brian Knudsen Ward 1


Councilwoman Victoria Seaman Ward 2

Councilwoman Olivia Diaz Ward 3


Our Independence Day Celebrations across our great city were spectacular! We handed out 6700 beautiful American Flags with the help from our Boy Scouts and Cub Scouts.

        


Our Fireworks celebration was full of all the greatness it takes to put a party for 5000+ friends, neighbors & families together. Our sponsors are generous, kind, and always supportive. Thank you! 

BACK TO BUSINESS


Our City's KCLV production team has put a few 10-minute episodes together for you to see some of the issues we deal with. It's called "Inside Vegas." Here's the pilot.

              
                     https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WHtEEpTqR7o

On a personal note, I spent a little time in Italy with my Italian family and a couple of close family friends.

                    

Father Angelo has been a priest for about 57 years. My father was very close to him. Father Angelo is 83 years old however, to meet him and walk 5-6 miles a day you wouldn't think he was a day over 60. The Vatican is his home and he knows and works with all the Catholic churches in Rome and many around the world. I spent Saturday and Sunday with Father Angelo. He showed me many churches, statues, fountains, and rooftop views that would be a photographers dream.  The photos below are from Father Angelo's rooftop. 



In one of the chapels that the students and priests go to for prayer and worship, the detailed stone mosaic work is breathtaking. The artist even included a cute mouse in the design.
 

              

Father Angelo lives in the Vatican and is a professor to the students studying to become priests. He has written, edited, and published over 28 books and encyclopedias on Christian History. What an amazing man. He loved my father, and I am very blessed to have been taken on a two-day private tour of Rome, the Vatican and so many fascinating iconic places in Rome. I love Father Angelo!

               

          

TREVI FOUNTAIN

               

ST. PETERS SQUARE

On Sunday Pope Francis greeted the crowd from his study window to recite the Angelus Pray. Father Angelo, myself, a couple of his students and two other guests watched from a private balcony inside the Vatican. It was a once in a lifetime experience. 

                     

On Wednesday Pope Francis held his Papal audience. This was again a first in my life and enlightening experience. I delivered our Raiders NFL Pope Francis jersey at the Papal audience. The guards you see in the very colorful uniforms are elite warriors from the Swiss Guard to protect The Pope.

                    

There is so much to see and learn, historical buildings, educational opportunities, places unreal and architect that is a real labor of love and the art in Italy is like nothing I've ever seen before. 



I took a picture of this man filling his water bottle. In Italy, they have fountains, so people always have water. Father Angelo says the water from the fountains are delicious and better than bottled water. 
                       
I went to Florence for the day. Here is Florence City Hall.



On my last night in Rome I met some new friends that were staying at the same hotel. Meet Barbara, Bruno and Dana. Great people.

 

Then I hopped on a train and went to my fathers' hometown of Noicattaro in Bari and met with my cousins and a very close friend of my dads. 




My cousins Lello and Damiana took me to Polignano Puglia. This is a beautiful famous town. The famous singer Domenico Modugno was born there, he sings Volare (Fly). The town memorialized him by placing a large bronze statue in the middle of town. Dean Martin made the song Volare famous in America. It's a great song, and if you'd ever been to an Italian restaurant, you've most likely heard it.



My fathers close friend Gianni, spent the day touring me in this great town, Alberobello, and we had a delicious memorable lunch at L'Aratro Ristorante. Gianni is the man not wearing a hat and Laera wearing the hat owns this restaurant and is a friend of the families. This is a must go back to restaurant. 

Here is a short 2-minute video of Puglia. I think you'll enjoy it.
https://vimeo.com/165102515


My dad was born and raised in Noicattaro. He actually went into a seminary in Noicattaro for a year before realizing he was destined for children and marriage. This is where he met Father Angelo, and as they say, the rest is history.

I want to thank my brother John for putting this all together for me. I love you!

         
                    

My brother John


I love this photo of my Uncle Mario and cousin Vito in their restaurant in New York. On their pizza oven there's a magnet of Bari where my Uncle Mario was born.

            
From left to right. Uncle Tony, Brother John, Aunt Dina, me, Uncle Mario and Uncle Sammy. My brother John and I were born in New York. My Aunt and Uncles all born in Italy.

And that was my trip to Italy.

We are now getting prepared for our back to school event coming up. Our back-packs are colorful this year and will go along perfectly with our school supplies to give to our children.

Stay cool and hydrated during our hot hot summer.

All my love,


Your new Mayor Pro Tem, pictured w/ Nancy Byrne/producer-writer City of Las Vegas

Michele
Councilwoman Ward 6 


No comments:

Post a Comment