Thursday, July 2, 2015

NEVADA NEWS & VIEWS 07/02/2015

Sandoval Tax Hike Results in Massive "Facepalming" among Nevadans

by Nevada State Sen. Don Gustavson

I asked in my last newsletter to let me know if you felt "betrayed & deceived" or "comforted & relieved" over the final outcome of the 2015 Legislative Session. If you put yourself in the betrayed & deceived category you are in a crowded camp, and the sound of face-palming continues to resonate. (Urban Dictionary: facepalming; 1.The act of slapping your forehead with the palm of your head in exasperation. Most often done in frustration or agitation.)

Here are a few excerpts from my inbox:


"I think Republican is still my party of choice--but we blew it this session."

"Passing a massive tax increase after voted down by a 3 to 4 margin is clearly
indicative that voters wishes don't count. Also, after giving Tesla a huge tax benefit!!! ...I am really disappointed in this year's legislature!!"

"The GOP has seen the last penny that I and my entire family will ever donate to them. I will still support those individuals who honor their positions by voting honestly and not backstabbing the people who put them office..."

 "I feel that we have all been duped by Governor Sandoval and most are very upset over it. Had he run for the Senate to replace Harry Reid he would have fit in very nicely with both of his faces."

"Boy am I disappointed in "my" governor and the newly elected Republican legislature. They threw us under the bus, for sure...Maybe if enough of us switch, the IAP will have some clout to get the right things done!"

"Betrayed! That is how I feel. I will reregister as nonpartisan and will NEVER trust a politician again."

"Betrayed and baffled by the Governors liberal leanings...My trust has been violated, and I will be voting accordingly." 

"I am seriously considering changing my party affiliation to independent and I certainly won't contribute financially to the Republican Party, either national or local."

"I truly believed that there was an alternative to the liberal progressives, but now I am not so sure."

"I am betrayed, deceived and both baffled and bewildered. The voters spoke and I'm very disappointed that the representatives that we elected just ignore the people who they represent. Especially the Governor...he lost my respect. If he runs for a higher office I will not vote for him."

"I'm sick of the whole system...I'm 76 and a vet...One cannot be inspired and take the initiative to risk investing in the future. The government and the politicians have successfully killed the spirit by over taxing and over regulation of our businesses and lives...Good luck in your efforts to stabilize the ship."

"Betrayed by our own GOP. Makes me seriously consider dropping out. There seems to be no difference in the parties. Sandoval and his cronies are a disgrace to the word honesty."
 
"I feel betrayed. I especially would like to tell Governor Sandoval that if he runs for the Senate seat to be vacated by Reid he should run as a Democrat since he governs like a Democrat."

"My disappointment is great...I think that we should go to the courts and challenge the new tax law...Thank you to those of you Senators, and Assemblymen/women that stuck to their guns and voted to try to keep the cost of Government low..."

"Thanks for your good work Don. No means no, the 2015 Legislatures who pandered to the gaming lobby should all be fired. My energies will be focused on reversing the Commerce Tax and not on getting the spineless Republicans who enacted the tax re-elected."

 "Betrayed is an understatement. Our legislators' decisions
leave me feeling like I walked into my home finding it burglarized and my possessions stolen. The citizens of this state are at the mercy of our lawmakers. We depend on them to do the right thing for Nevada. However, so many lawmakers have little respect or concern for the citizens of this state, or for that matter, the good people who elected them. Instead, they legislate for their friends, personal financial gain, lobbyists, and other legislators. It's no wonder the perception of government is so poor."

"I will not support Gov. Sandoval for any further elected office choosing instead to vote "none of the above" if there is no satisfactory alternative. Yes, I'm mad as hell..."
 
"I am betrayed yet again by people claiming to be Republicans...I am thinking of leaving the Republican Party to join the American Independent Party. The
Republicans had the power, but too many used it to vote like Democrats. Are they Demo operatives?"

"It's like we voted in Dems in disguise as Republicans. It's all just making me sick to my stomach. I've lost faith in the Republican Party and all the damn RINOs. What the hell happened to the Governor? Didn't rejecting the marginal tax say anything to him about how we, the people, feel about this issue?"

"Betrayed, deceived and baffled. Did these GOP's come from California? Time for a recount and fire all of them."

"Don, I think YOU are one of the very few trustworthy elected officials in NV gov't. I approve of your voting record and your position on most every issue. I am sickened and very disgusted with our RINO governor...he stabbed the voters in the back with his tax increase. I will not ever again vote for the man, no matter what office he runs for or whom his opponent(s) may be."

"When we during the November 2014 election voted down the ballot measures to raise taxes, we thought that would be the last of them. Little did we know that the Republicans would be the driving force in a record-breaking tax increase totaling $1.5B. I truly think that those legislators voting for them think that just because those paying for the tax increase were businesses, that individuals were spared from paying them. They truly must not understand that business do not pay taxes, individuals buying the businesses goods and services pay for them in increased prices. Shame on those voting for the increases, and shame on our governor who supported it...Yes, we were registered Republicans who have switched to Independent."

"Nevada has become a tax and spend state...What has happened? Even the Republicans are now tax and spend including the Governor, I am afraid we are on the way to ruin."

"I feel totally betrayed. Sandoval had the perfect opportunity to make sweeping
reforms like Scott Walker and the Republican-led legislature did in Wisconsin, and to save PERS once and for all. Instead, he took the low road with the help of his lapdogs...behaving more like Democrats than the Democrats themselves. This was all pre-planned... Sandoval is the epitome of a RINO... EVERYONE who voted for the tax increase needs to go! I would rather have Democrats in office than these lying, phony "Republicans". At least with the Democrats, you know for sure what you are going to get."

"With few exceptions, such as yourself Senator Gustavson, I ask myself why I ever voted for a Republican. I also ask myself why should I bother to stay in the R party with legislatures such as those that passed a huge tax yet ignored so many other good Bills. At this point I am so beyond mad that I have to watch what I say but say what I mean. I am seriously considering leaving the party after this group of progressive Republicans in Carson City. Taxing and regulating any chance they could. I remember the Republican platform saying it is to have smaller government and less taxes. So who should leave the party? I know it should not be me nor you Senator Gustavson, but I may have to, so I can sleep at night. I cannot continue to support such betrayal and deceit."

"I HAVE BEEN SUPPORTING SANDOVAL EVER SINCE HE STARTED RUNNING FOR PUBLIC OFFICE; NEVER AGAIN!!! I WILL COLLECT THE NAMES OF ALL THE GOP SENATORS AND HOUSE MEMBERS THAT VOTED FOR THIS ATROCITY, AND I WILL CAMPAIGN AGAINST THEM AS LONG AS THEY ATTEMPT TO HOLD PUBLIC OFFICE IN NEVADA!!! WATCH THE DOORS CLOSE ON MANY MORE BRICK AND MORTAR BUSINESSES AS THIS ABOMINATION TAKES HOLD. AS A REGISTERED REPUBLICAN, I HANG MY HEAD IN SHAME."

"How many businesses will not come here or move out and take their jobs with them because of this? Every state or city that increased taxes has seen their economy suffer example Detroit, Chicago etc. It will destroy the state!"

"Yes, I am DISGUSTED, betrayed, deceived and bewildered. Yes, I am ready to switch parties OR not vote at all. Yes, I think "almost" all Nevada GOP State Legislators are cowards and will work to unseat ALL of "them" in years to come. However, I am so proud of you, a lonely beacon of hope on an abandoned political moonscape. Keep the faith. Lead on! 25-year Nevada Resident."

"I voted for people who I believed wouldn't increase taxes. I found that there were
many RINOs put into office. With the economy so frail I don't understand why they even thought to raise taxes. Raising taxes is like a snake eating itself to stop its hunger. This was a major violation of voter confidence. I believe this will lead to a fracture the Republican party. Why vote Republican if they will just do as the Democrats? Thank you for your efforts Senator Gustavson. You have kept your word. It is a relief in the sea of lies."

"Senator Gustavson, I can only wish that every Republican legislator was an exact copy of you. I am so incensed by this past legislative session that I have quit the Republican party for good...this is the first state I have ever lived in that was sold down the river by a Republican majority in the legislature and all of the state offices. Starting with Sandoval, who is nothing more than a disgrace to the GOP, and going right down the line to all but a couple of handfuls of elected representatives, the people of Nevada who spoke about a year ago with their ballots were thoroughly deceived by their elected representatives."

"We were elated to send a Republican majority to Carson City to work with Governor Sandoval, now we'd like to know the difference. We couldn't be more disappointed in
our new one party system with progressives leading the way. Thank you Senator Gustavson and Assemblyman Ellison for holding true to the Nevada's voters values."

"As a Republican for over 45 years I am considering changing my party affiliation to independent after this huge tax increase. Further I am disappointed that we did not pass campus carry and constitutional carry bills when we had the rare chance. What will it take to wake up the Republican party? To say I am disappointed is an understatement."

"Seeing many of our elected officials to, in effect, switch parties was more than disheartening. Many of us will work to retire those folks in the next general election. They let us down and sided with a Governor that also seems to have switched sides."

"Once again, the RINOs have proven they're no different than the Democrats. It's no wonder people are apathetic about politics today. What choice do we really have between the parties today? They're different in name only, but the same in deeds and actions."

"Keep up the good work. There is another election coming. We just might get something other than RINO's next time if we become more informed and do due diligence in our research on candidates."

"This governor is not a Republican and I will never vote for him. He is just another version of Harry Reid. This governor keeps punishing the small business and yet he's touting that he is a business friendly governor. Very disappointing."
 
"Increases in taxes by Republicans is BS. Those that voted for tax increases won't get my vote again." 

"How could anyone be against voter ID???? I would be interested in what those Rinos who voted for the tax increase had to say; how do they sleep? Why do they NEVER talk about cutting waste and expense, ONLY about new ways to tax even more?"

"I feel betrayed! I am ashamed of being a Republican. After being a Republican for almost 55 years I am considering changing parties. I am going to do everything in my power to get the tax voters removed from office."

"My feelings about Republicans, as of 3 June 2015 I am a member of the Independent American Party."

"Thank you Don for your loyalty to the people. I love you for living by your word! After all, isn't that the measure of a man?"

"Thanks loads, fools. I hope you enjoy watching businesses move out of this state in favor of those with a more favorable business climate, like Texas that just reduced its margins tax by 25%. And I, as a one person corporation, am now 67 years old. Maybe I'll just retire. Yeah, that'll help the schools, you ignoramuses. Argh!"

"What happened this session will probably be the last for a Republican majority."

"Betrayed, deceived and shell shocked at the outcome. I am considering changing
party affiliations and leaving behind my days of actively contributing to candidates, hosting fundraising events, knocking on doors, delivering materials and making phone calls on behalf of the party or candidates. I will not cast another vote for the governor due to his lack of support for AB405 though he told me personally that he would support notification. I guess I forgot to count my fingers! Ray Hagar said it perfectly in his tweet on the last night of the session: 'Democrats should make sure Republicans stay in power so the Dem's agenda can be passed at #nvleg.' That pretty much sums it up, doesn't it?"

"I for one see this as the worst session in many years, and under a Republican majority!!! This is an abomination and will keep me from contributing to campaign fund requests or trusting a word that the majority of our representatives utter. Thanks for letting me express this opinion, and thanks for your best efforts."

No comments:

Post a Comment