Friday, January 2, 2015

NEVADA - ASSEMBLYWOMAN MICHELE FIORE TAKES A STAND IN THE 'HAMRICK (POTENTATE) MATTER'

Friends,

Happy New Year! I'm truly excited for the coming year and look forward to getting back to Carson City and to work for the people of Nevada. 


Today is the final day to raise funds before the legislative session. Will you please make one final donation to help pay off our remaining election debt before midnight tonight?

It is important to me that I stay in touch with you during the session, and your donation of $25, $50, $100, $250 or $500 helps fund our email updates and community outreach during the time when I cannot raise funds. 
I also want to address some of the questions about my leadership position in our caucus. Earlier today I sent an open letter to Speaker-designate Hambrick to inform him that I will continue to serve as Majority Leader until such time our caucus votes to replace me. 

I will not stand for leaders who disregard the rules that protect the will of the voters. You can read my letter below. 

I am your voice and your representative in Carson City. Contact me any time with your ideas or concerns, and if you're visiting Northern Nevada, please join me on the floor of the Assembly because this is your assembly seat. 

Have a wonderful New Year!

Yours truly, 

Open Letter Regarding Assembly Republican Caucus Leadership

January 2, 2015

John Hambrick:


Your reasoning that you can remove me as Majority Leader is faulty, to say the least. Following that reasoning to its logical conclusion means you could also remove Assemblywoman Kirkpatrick as Minority Leader. You were elected by the Assembly Republican Caucus as the Speaker-designee, not as an all-powerful potentate. 

Additionally, you removed me as the Chair of the Assembly Taxation Committee, and you also removed Assemblywoman Victoria Seaman and Assemblyman Brent Jones from that same committee. According to rule 41(1) of the Assembly Standing Rules, it is your prerogative to do so; however, you also announced you were removing me as Majority Leader of the Assembly Republican Caucus and replacing me with Assemblyman Paul Anderson. 

There is no rule in the Assembly Standing Rules that allows you to arbitrarily remove me from an elected Caucus position. Neither have the members of the Caucus been presented with any evidence from any source that allows you to overrule my election by a majority of the Assembly Republican Caucus as the Majority Leader of the Caucus. You need to know that a sizable portion of the members of the Caucus still consider me the Majority Leader, as do I. I will be occupying my Majority Leader office January 5th

You have stated publicly that I have threatened to bring suit for your decision to remove me as Majority Leader of the Assembly Republican Caucus. I wish to state clearly, concisely and categorically that I have never considered such a move nor have I told anyone that I was considering such a move. Anyone who told you I was considering doing so does not have the best interests of the Caucus as their goal; rather, they are trying to wreak havoc among our members. 

As far as I know the only threatened legal action has been by your political adviser, Nathan Emens, who you told me was threatening to sue every member of the caucus and that was the reason you were attempting to remove me by fiat. 

In addition to threatening legal action against all the members of our Caucus, we now know that Mr. Emens also helped in Meghan Smith's failed campaign to defeat Victoria Seaman in the 2014 General Election. Neither of these actions are conducive to Caucus harmony, and until they are discussed among members and cleared up, remain a problem for the Caucus. 

Rule 1(1) of the Assembly Standing Rules does give you authority over “officers of the Assembly,” it does not give you the power to overrule the decisions of the Caucuses. In addition according to the National Council of State Legislatures (http://www.ncsl.org/documents/legismgt/ilp/99tab2pt3.pdf) both the minority and majority parties in the Nevada Legislature elect their Caucus leaders. Until you prove otherwise, I question your power to remove me and wish to state that may only be done by a Caucus vote. 

I do know how to count votes and realize I might not survive a new vote for Majority Leader, but that vote must be taken, and it must be taken as soon as possible. The January 5, 2015 meeting that you unilaterally canceled would have been the perfect time for that vote, and I urge you to reconsider. As the Majority Leader I'm calling that meeting. Our caucus will meet January 5th at 3:30pm in our caucus room. It is in the best interests of the Caucus to bring this unfortunate incident to a conclusion. 

I will abide by the decision of the Caucus and look forward to working to bring about the real changes Nevada needs and the people who elected us deserve. 

On a final note: I ask that you address directly Assemblyman Hickey's recent, quite insulting column in which he referred to our caucus as "a second-rate Vegas lounge act" while repeating a media reference to us as the "Clown Caucus." 

For the record, is this sort of offensive personal attack on our caucus by a fellow caucus member acceptable under your leadership? If is not acceptable, why have you decided to reward this type of behavior by assigning Mr. Hickey premier office space. 

That said, Mr. Hickey also complained about "partisan caucuses, meeting secretly behind closed doors," and wrote that he hoped such clandestine meetings "one day become an endangered political species." 

In that spirit of open transparency - and since these leadership questions will affect all Nevadans that we represent, not just caucus members - I intend to post this particular letter on my website so that everyone knows exactly what is going on and exactly what my positions are on this situation. I'm copying our Governor, our legal division and our Chief of the Assembly as well. 

I encourage you to do the same with your response. This is not an issue that should be resolved behind closed doors via "internal communication only." 

Assemblywoman Majority Leader Michele Fiore

No comments:

Post a Comment