Current Christianity seems content to hide behind the four walls of our buildings, allowing the next generation to face the music created by our apathy and absence from the Public Square. Where is the Church of the Living God? Will the collapse of the Judeo-Christian heritage and a Biblically-based culture catalyze the downward spiral of morality and values in America?
Our country is in a bad way. Where are the physicians, the specialists who can prescribe the counteractant? Or perhaps the patient too debilitated to be revived?
CNN - First Lady's Hand Swat a Viral Sensation
America's children are drowning in media's frivolity. American journalism is an absolute embarrassment. Sickening is the word for what most magazines and newspapers have wrought in America, where the Kardashian's and Kaitlin Jenner are depicted as a normal American family.
Secularists and the Courts took only three-quarters of a century to upset the balance of power in America. The Founders deposited a different model: "That all power is vested in, and consequently derived from, the people; that magistrates are their trustees and servants and at all times amenable to them" (George Mason, The Virginia Declaration of Rights, 1776).
President Donald Trump rejuvenated Mason's truth at Liberty University's graduation this month when he stated: "In America, we don't worship government, we worship God."
America's Founders poured the foundation and laid this framework some 150 years before the drafting of the Declaration of Independence (1776) and the U.S. Constitution (1787).
Christianity was established as the official religion of America in the thirteen original Colonies. You doubt this? Study their state constitutions.
It is not hard to defend the thesis that American culture and government were established upon Jesus Christ and the Judeo-Christian Scriptures. There is something more precious than all the gold in Fort Knox: Wisdom, like that known by early American youth who were tutored by the McGuffey Readers. As former Missouri legislator Jim Lembke wrote:
- If there is truth, there must be a higher authority that establishes that truth.
- If everything is truth, then nothing is true.
- If there is not a set of standards that are objectively true, then truth is relative. If truth is relative then our freedom, liberty, property and most importantly our salvation are in danger.
- The evidence is overwhelming that not only were our founding fathers men of faith, but they realized that both expressing and applying their beliefs to their civil service was essential to the well-being of society.
- The common theme in the writings of our first four presidents and many of our other founders was they found it inconceivable that any effort in creating a lasting republic that was formulated on the premise of self-government and individual liberty could sustain apart from a virtuous people. Religion and morality would be the indispensable pillars on which the foundation would be laid.*
It is a lucrative exercise to study the founding of America and the mindset and worldview of the early American people as they considered, and then fought for, independence in the 18th century.
Let me ask a question. Do you have an idea what the sum of good government looked like to America's Founders? Thomas Jefferson wrote:
"A wise and frugal government...shall restrain men from injuring one another, shall leave them otherwise free to regulate their own pursuits of industry and improvement, and shall not take from the mouth of labor the bread it has earned. This is the sum of good government."
The Founders', forged by a muscular Christianity and fashioned by religious agitation and conflict, considered it a duty to confront tyrannical, secular forces who sought to impose a godless ideology upon Christian, Western civilization.
So, as we begin to address the violations of conscience perpetrated by Secularism on a once Christian nation, we appeal to the "Supreme Judge of the world" for His aid.
Christians have largely abandoned Big Business, Government, Media, Arts and Entertainment, Education, the Family, and Religion. A culture once dominated by Christian content is now controlled by those who are in rebellion against God.
Nevertheless, God is yet involved in His creation. By His hand, we commit to renovating America's Judeo-Christian heritage and once again establish a Biblically-based culture. A key component to this resurrection is reestablishing prayer in America's churches, led by senior pastors. Our first confession must be, we have failed. Our second confession is that He is coming on the clouds; kings and kingdoms will bow down.
Rekindle eternal principles of liberty:
- "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same." Ronald Reagan
- "When the people fear government there is tyranny. When the government fears the people there is liberty." Thomas Jefferson
Gideons and Rahabs are beginning to stand in the public square.
American Renewal Project
American Renewal Project
* Jim Lembke, Recovering the Declaration of Independence