Monday, August 7, 2017

MUTH'S TRUTHS 08/07/2017

My Unexpected Brush with Future Greatness 20 Years Ago

I remember attending the 1997 Midwest Republican Leadership Conference in Indianapolis.  It was the first big political-type conference I’d ever attended. I went alone.  And to be honest, I was a bit hesitant.  After all, I’d be in a strange city surrounded by complete strangers and not knowing what to do or what to expect.

I don’t care who you are, trying something new for the first time can be quite intimidating. 


And what most people don’t know about me is that I’m really an introvert at heart.  It may not seem that way when you see me at various events, but I’m much more comfortable spending an evening at home with the family than some event with a big crowd. 

In fact, instead of going to the welcoming reception the night before the MWRLC conference kicked off, I walked up the street and went to a movie!

But I sucked it up the next morning because I’d heard so many people talk about what a great time these conferences were…and you know what?  They were right.

First, once I entered the conference ballroom I was no longer surrounded by “strangers.”  I was surrounded by fellow political and philosophical travelers. Everyone was talking about the same issues, the same candidates, the same campaigns.  They were friendly, happy and just plain “juiced” at being there.

It was GREAT!

Sure, it’s more comfortable to stay home and hang out with people you already know.  But at conferences like this you’re a stranger only until after you finish shaking hands.  Then it’s like you’re long-lost brothers.

And you never know who you’re gonna run into or whether or not someday they’re gonna be a big star. 

In fact, at the MWRLC that year I met and talked with a very personable, up-and-coming political pollster who few people knew at the time but is now a household name: Kelly Ann Conway, current White House Counselor to President Donald Trump

 That was 20 years ago.  Who knew, right?

I also met someone else there for the first time.  Someone who has since become not only a close political ally but a close personal friend, as well: Taxpayer champion Grover Norquist, who later co-founded the Conservative Leadership Conference (CLC) with me in Nevada ten years later.

I also got to see, hear and meet Dr. Alan Keyes for the first time live. 

Man, can that guy deliver a speech!  Shook the rafters!  It was simply electric.  And because we met and got to know each other at that event, Dr. Keyes ended up keynoting our first CLC Awards Dinner in Reno in 2007. 

Oh yeah, he shook the rafters there, too!

So, look…if you’ve never been to a conference like this before and are a bit hesitant – or like me that first time in Indianapolis, even a little intimated – do yourself a favor, suck it up and come to this year’s 2017 CLC.  You won’t be disappointed.  In fact, I’m sure you’ll thank me at the end.

I know what it’s like to take a couple days off to try something new like this that’s a little outside your comfort zone.  Believe me, I get it.  And that’s why I set up our 2-for-1 Early Bird special. 

Unlike me in Indianapolis, you won’t have to come to CLC alone.  Because you can bring with you a friend, relative, neighbor, co-worker - or even a therapy puppy! - for FREE!  And they’ll have a great time, too. 

You’ll make some new friends, you’ll get some autographs, you’ll take some selfies with a few celebrities… and hey, maybe you, too, will have a brush with future conservative greatness you’ll be able to write about 20 years from now!

One last thing:  Putting on these events is a MAJOR endeavor (a polite way to say “headache”) – both in time and money.  And honestly, I don’t know if I’m ever going to do another one like this. 

So don’t end up kicking yourself for missing what might be this last great opportunity to see, hear and meet so many great conservative leaders - such as Grover, Herman CainRoger Stone, the PolitichicksElbert GuilloryJoy Villa - and even possibly the next governor of Nevada, Adam Laxalt

Don’t put this off.  Don’t delay.  Don’t procrastinate.  Register today.  RightNOW before you sleep on it and change your mind. 


See you in September!

Cheers.

Dr. Chuck Muth, PsD
Professor of Psephology (homeschooled)
Nevada’s #1 Irritator of Liberals and RINOs


CLC17.header graphic3


HEADLINES


P.S.  I’m one of those who is extremely happy that Colin Kaepernick, at this time, won’t be kneeling on the sidelines during the National Anthem before the start of an NFL game this season because no team has hired him.  If NFL owners are blackballing him, fine.  He’s an anti-cop, un-American jerk.

Yes, he’s exercising his free speech rights.  Yes, I support those rights.  But the Constitution prohibits the government from infringing on your free speech rights, not your boss.  And as such, free speech does NOT mean free from consequences.

Yes, Kaepernick has the right not to stand during the National Anthem and disrespect the American flag and insult the vast majority of his fellow Americans.  But he does not have the right to do so using someone else’s soapbox - including the sidelines of an NFL team.  Screw him. 

And guess what?  No one will miss this jerk this season.  The beat goes on…

FAMOUS LAST WORDS

“I thought of what Daddy had said when I asked him why he’d never gone on public assistance. ‘Because they take away your manhood,’ he said.” – Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas in his autobiography, “My Grandfather’s Son”


CLC17.header graphic1

No comments:

Post a Comment