Friday, July 18, 2014

SILVER STATE CONFIDENTIAL 07/18/2014

A DOOBY-OUS ANNIVERSARY

I almost forgot…

June 27th was the 35th anniversary of my arrest for breaking a government-imposed curfew in a park, drinking a Budweiser, and possessing what amounted to two marijuana cigarettes (joints to us former potheads). 

Ironically, last week I flew down to Phoenix to tour a LEGAL medical marijuana and cultivation facility (thanks for hooking me up, Sen. Tick Segerblom).  My, how times have changed!


This is a new issue that Citizen Outreach is going to become a lot more involved with. 

In fact, I just launched a new issue blog...


...and will be following and reporting on medical marijuana as it becomes a reality in Nevada, as well as the upcoming fight on legalizing recreational marijuana here.

For example, I attended a neighborhood meeting hosted by an applicant for a dispensary license in Las Vegas last evening at the Sahara Library, and it didn’t go too well.  Seems the location the group, NuVeda, is proposing is a block away and across the street from a dispensary location already approved by Clark County.

Let’s just say the neighbors in attendance were less than enthused.

If you’re interested in the issue, go to the website and sign up for email updates.

P.S.  There’s a lot more to my 1979 arrest, but you’ll have to wait for the book…which I intend to work on over the rest of this summer.  Hope to release it before the 35th anniversary of my first meeting with my probation officer, which was on September 20th - my mom’s birthday! 

Wouldn’t an autographed copy be a great birthday gift for her 75th birthday celebration this year?

OK, OK.  I’ll send it with flowers, too.

DAVE FOR NEVADA’S BIG MOUTH

Some people just don’t know when to keep their mouths shut and let sleeping dogs lie. 

I haven’t bothered Clark County GOP Pooh-Bah Dave McKeon since his election a year ago.  Haven’t written about him.  Haven’t talked about him.  Haven’t even really thought about him.  I still believe the Central Committee elected an all-hat-no-cattle sh*t-weasel for chairman, but it was their decision and I just moved on. 

But for some stuck-on-stupid reason, “Dave for Nevada” couldn’t help himself and brought my name into some rant he blasted off on at a meeting this week, accusing me of blackmailing him a year ago.

Here’s the thing: Blackmail is a crime.  If he really thought I’d tried to blackmail him, he should have pressed charges.  He didn’t. 

And if he wants to dredge that matter up and again accuse me of it, the least the little whelp could do is accuse me to my face.  He didn’t.

So I guess it’s back on.  Just remember, I didn’t break the peace.  The jester did.

NOTICE TO REPUBLICAN CANDIDATES

For the record, Republicans, my vote in November is NOT automatic. 

There are third-party alternatives to the GOP.  There’s the “None of the Above” alternative (especially in the gubernatorial race, where NOTA already beat the Democrat nominee in the primary). 

And there’s also a very good chance I’ll support a couple of Democrats who have demonstrated a willingness to work with conservatives on important issues over some Republicans who have been giving conservatives both the finger and the shaft.

In fact, in one statewide race the Democrat candidate recently called asking for my support, while that candidate’s Republican opponent is either blowing me off or taking my vote for granted.  As such, I’m seriously considering the Democrat.

Look, I’ve always said I’m a conservative first; a Republican a distant second.  And I’m a strategic voter looking at the long-term well beyond this November’s election. 

For example, since Republicans have ZERO chance to take control of the state Assembly anyway, I might be inclined to support a Democrat candidate over a particular Republican candidate who’s sold his soul to Minority Leader Pat Hickey and will dance on Hickey’s puppet string.

And in some cases, a bad Republican spoiling the whole barrel is worse than the Democrat.  For example, Sen. Moderate Mike Roberson.  Some choice for conservatives: A Democrat liberal or a Republican liar.

For those of you embracing the notion that any Republican is better than any Democrat, God bless you.  That just ain’t me.

THE BILBRAY FILES

Erin Bilbray’s campaign continues its free fall,” writes Tyler Q. Houlton, Deputy Policy Director & Policy Press Secretary for the National Republican Congressional Committee.  “Not only have Washington Democrats refused to reserve TV time on her behalf, she was outraised again by Rep. Joe Heck.”

“@ErinBilbray raised under $225K for qtr ending 6/30, has about $500K cash. Compares to @RepJoeHeck $387K raised, 1.46M cash.” – Tweet by Laura Myers of the Las Vegas Review-Journal, 7/15/14

“It’s not all bad news for Bilbray though,” Houlton continued.  “She gets a consolation prize.  Joe Biden. That’s right. Joe Biden.  In a sign of how pessimistic Washington Democrats are about Erin Bilbray’s chances in November, they’ve dispatched the White House’s gaffe machine to Vegas.”

Biden will stump for Bilbray-Kohn next Wednesday while he’s in town to deliver a speech at the race-baiting NAACP conference at Mandalay Bay.

In related news, despite the fact that “Political forecasters generally agree that Republicans will expand their (House) majority in November,” former House Speaker Nancy Pelosi told the Washington Post this week that she thinks she can pick up 25 seats in November and snatch the majority from Republicans.

Sounds like somebody’s been dipping into the medicinal LSD again!

In any event, one of the seats she specifically mentioned as contributing to this history-defying electoral upset is Nevada’s 3rd congressional district, currently represented by Dr. Heck.

If Pelosi is putting her majority eggs in the Bilbray-Kohn basket, something tells me she’s gonna end up with egg on her face in November!

MUTH’S TRUTHS

  • Just a reminder: I’m LOUSY at taking and returning phone calls.  If you have a question or want to reach me for some reason, the best way is via email.  I can go weeks without checking for messages on voicemail.  My email address is chuck@citizenoutreach.com.  That is all.
  • The “dream team” that spearheaded the effort to bring the 2016 Republican National Convention to Las Vegas – led by political consultant Mike Slanker – lost to…Cleveland?  Seriously?  Now that’s embarrassing.
  • My kids are writing a screenplay for their summer writing project.  The working title is “Diarrhea Diaries.”  So far all I know is that a baseball player is involved.  This ought to be interesting.
  • Speaking of the kids, I took them to see Gallagher at the Golden Nugget Wednesday night – 22 years after my dad took me and Gia to see him at the Sands – and both Jenna and Kristen got to go up onstage to smash gooey foods and stuff.   And Jenna actually got to wield the Sledge-o-Matic and smash a watermelon!  Click here to see it on YouTube: http://youtu.be/k_M6g9dHNW4

FAMOUS LAST WORDS

“George Harrison knew what he was talking about when he wrote the song ‘Taxman’ for the Beatles: ‘If you get too cold, I'll tax the heat / If you take a walk, I'll tax your feet.’  Had the Internet been around in 1966, they might have added: ‘If you use the Web, I'll tax your tweet.’  As absurd as it sounds, this may become a reality if Congress doesn't act promptly.” – Sen. John Thune on the Permanent Internet Tax Freedom Act

No comments:

Post a Comment