Tuesday, August 20, 2013

ASSEMBLYWOMAN MICHELE FIORE 08/20/2013

Friends,

It's hard to believe the summer is almost over and our students start heading back to school. I hope all of our District 4 students have a wonderful school year, and I remind all of you to please be careful around our school zones, buses and students walking on our sidewalks.

Jake in his preschool uniform
This is also the time of year when I reflect on Nevada's education system. My daughters, Sheena and Savanah, both graduated from the Clark County School District and my grandson, Jake, will be starting kindergarten in a couple of years, so our education system is very important to me. As your Assemblywoman, I've had the opportunity to tour some of our schools, and I'm always impressed with the professionalism of our teachers and how eager and bright our students are.


I also believe we have a lot of room for improvement in our education system. Las Vegas is like nowhere else and so are our students. We need to offer more choices for students and parents, and we need to support the families who chose alternatives, like charter and private schools. Charter schools are a great opportunity for students to learn in environments that may be better suited to their learning styles because the traditional classroom doesn't work for everyone.

We also need to invest in our best teachers and reward the ones who create an environment where our students are eager to learn. We need to be investing wisely in our future scientists, entrepreneurs, artists and leaders by keeping more money in the classroom and requiring more accountability for how every dollar is spent.

What other ideas do you have to improve our education system? I want to hear from you because the best ideas don't come from Carson City; they come from you. I'm already thinking about bills for the next session, and I want to propose an idea that would improve our education system.

I look forward to hearing you ideas!

Yours truly,


Michele Fiore  
Michele Fiore

No comments:

Post a Comment