Friday, May 24, 2013

KENTUCKY SEN RAND PAUL NEWSLETTER 05/24/2013

Dear Conservatives,
Please allow me to update you on some of this week's happenings in Washington, DC.
Response to President Obama's Drone Speech
Following President Obama's speech on drone policy Thursday, I still have concerns over this Administration's definition of due process.
While I'm glad the President finally acknowledged that American citizens deserve some form of due process, I am still concerned over whether flash cards and PowerPoint presentations represent due process; my preference would be to try accused U.S. citizens for treason in a court of law.
Click HERE to read my statement in its entirety.
Sen. Paul Defends Apple Against Senate Subcommittee
On Tuesday, I attended a Homeland Security and Government Affairs subcommittee hearing that called for executives of Apple to testify on the company's tax practices. In the hearing, I defended the job-creating efforts Apple has made and lambasted my fellow Members for perpetuating a U.S. tax code that hinders corporate growth and productivity.
Following my opening statement, which can be found HERE, I had the opportunity to question witness J. Richard Harvey, a tax attorney and professor.
Click HERE to watch my exchange with J. Richard Harvey.


Sen. Paul Calls for Senate Democrats to Pass a Budget Without Procedural Tricks
Also on Tuesday, I spoke on the Senate floor to prevent Senate Democrats from using back-door procedures to increase the debt ceiling or raise taxes. Earlier last week, Sens. Mike Lee (R-Utah), Ted Cruz (R-Texas), and I stated our intention to object to the budget reconciliation process until Senate Democrat Leader Harry Reid (Nev.) would agree not to use procedural tricks to raise the debt ceiling. 

Click HERE for the video and transcript of my floor speech.
Sen. Paul Speaks to the Zionist Organization of America
On Wednesday, I spoke before 200 members of the Zionist Organization of America.  We discussed America's foreign policy and our nation's impact in the Middle East.

Sen. Paul Introduces a Bill to Protect Americans Against Unwarranted Drone Surveillance
Also on Wednesday, I introduced the Preserving Freedom from Unwarranted Surveillance Act of 2013. This bill would protect an individual's right to privacy against unwarranted governmental intrusion through the use of unmanned aerial vehicles, commonly known as drones. While the use of drone aircraft and technology continues to expand in all areas of the government, the Preserving Freedom from Unwarranted Surveillance Act will ensure the protection of every American citizen's right to personal privacy.
Click HERE to read my statement in its entirety.
Sen. Paul Introduces the Fourth Amendment Preservation and Protection Act of 2013
I introduced the Fourth Amendment Preservation and Protection Act of 2013 on Thursday. This bill would extend Fourth Amendment guarantees to electronic communications and requires specific warrants granted by judges in order to obtain this information.
Congress has passed a variety of laws that decimate our Fourth Amendment protections. In effect, it means that Americans can only count on Fourth Amendment protections if they don't use e-mail, cell phones, the Internet, credit cards, libraries, banks, or other forms of modern finance and communications.
Basic Constitutional rights should not be invalidated by carrying out basic, day-to-day functions in a technologically advanced world and this bill will provide much needed clarity and reassert Fourth Amendment protections for records held by third parties.
To read more about this bill, click HERE.
Sen. Paul Meets with First Choice Home Medical of Kentucky
This week, I had the pleasure of meeting with Kentuckians from First Home Medical. We discussed market-based alternatives to Medicare's unsustainable bidding program, along with other legislative issues.

(Sen. Paul with representatives from First Choice Home Medical- 5/22/2013)
Media Wrap-Up
This past week, I appeared on Fox's Your World With Neil Cavuto, CNBC's Closing Bell, and Fox's Hannity with Eric Bolling. And spoke with several radio stations across the country, as well as WHAS in Louisville. I also penned Op-Eds for the Washington Times and Rare.



Have An Issue Or Concern?
If you are a Kentucky resident and need assistance with a federal agency or concern, feel free to contact the Bowling Green office (270-782-8303) to have a discussion with the right staff member.

Stay in Touch with Sen. Paul's Social Media
You can find updates on what I'm doing by visiting my Senate website, www.paul.senate.gov and you can follow my official Twitter account HERE. You can also subscribe to my YouTube channel HERE. Don't forget to become a fan of my official Facebook page for other timely updates.
Warm Regards,

Rand Paul

No comments:

Post a Comment