Wednesday, March 13, 2013

ASSEMBLYWOMAN MICHELE FIORE NEWSLETTER 03/13/2013

Friends,

Last week I shared some highlights from the Donkey/Elephant basketball game because I wanted to show you that our legislators in Carson City are working together. I so strongly believe that while we need to stay true to our principles, we have an obligation to work together to pass meaningful legislation that will help all Nevadans.

Today I introduced Assembly bill 248 with the support of 57 of my peers which would change some traffic infractions from criminal to civil. I have suggested this change because taxpayers don't need to pay to incarcerate someone who may simply have some outstanding parking tickets.


Click here to see a list of Legislators who have signed in support of AB248

I introduced this bill after hearing a story from one of our neighbors. This person was pulled over by the police for a missing turn signal, and when the officer discovered an unpaid speeding ticket, the driver was arrested and taken to jail. The driver had believed the ticket to have been paid, and would have corrected the problem immediately had he not been arrested on the spot. Instead taxpayers had to pay for his incarceration.


Let me be clear. This bill would only apply to minor infractions and would not change serious infractions, such as DUIs.

I am overwhelmed at the amount of bipartisan support this bill has received because it is a common sense solution to save taxpayers' dollars.  

While 57 of our 63 Carson City legislators are supporting this bill, we are not guaranteed a hearing. The Committee Chairman needs to know that you support this legislation too.Please go to the Legislature's webpage to register your support for this bill. Select AB248 and let us know how you think. The more support we can show, the better the chances are that we can get this passed.  

I look forward to continuing to fight for all of you in Carson City. If you have ideas or concerns, please share them with me. We're out of time to introduce more legislation for the 2013 Session; however, if you do have a great idea of how to save tax dollars, it won't be long before it's time to start working on our 2015 BDRs.


All my love,
Michele Fiore  
Michele Fiore

No comments:

Post a Comment