Thursday, March 28, 2013

ASSEMBLY FIORE NEWSLETTER 03/28/2013

Friends,
This has probably been the most exciting week since the session started in February!

First, last week on Friday, I had the privilege of joining Senator Segerblom and several other Senators for a tour of a medical marijuana dispensary in Arizona.

  
(Picture on the left is from Sen. Hutchinson with Senator Segerblom and Assemblywoman Fiore. Picture on the right is from the Las Vegas Review-Journal while we were inspecting the marijuana.)

I wanted to be part of this field trip because I believe it is important for legislators to be educated on the issues we will be voting on in the coming weeks. I appreciate everyone who participated in this bi-partisan learning opportunity.


The second highlight this week was my first bill presentation for Assembly Bill 299, which deals with medical contracting. Bob Bayer, former director of the Nevada Department of Prisons, joined me to present a recommendation to the Assembly Judiciary that would give our prison directors more control over their medical staff.

AB299 Presentation 
This bill is in response to my tours of 7 of our Nevada prisons. I learned that some of our prison doctors are employed by both the Nevada taxpayers and local hospitals, making it possible to bill the taxpayers twice for treating patients.

There was a lot of discussion on this bill, and I appreciate the thoughtful questions from legislators and concerns from AFSCME and the ACLU. I hope we can continue to discuss the issues that were presented and come up with solutions that will allow our prisons to provide better service at a better price for taxpayers.  

There are a lot of great things happening in Carson City, and I hope you're enjoying these updates. I want to make sure all of our neighbors have the opportunity to know what's going on at the Legislature, so if you know of any of our Assembly District 4 neighbors who aren't receiving these updates, please click here to forward the email to them.

It is a privilege to be your representative and your voice in Carson City, and I appreciate all of your support and feedback.

Yours truly,
Michele Fiore  
Michele Fiore

No comments:

Post a Comment