Wednesday, January 30, 2013

RedState Briefing 01/30/2013


Morning Briefing
For January 30, 2013

1.  Moving On
I was not going to say anything, but rather just fade away. I suppose though with rumors and reports I should say something.

My voicemail and inbox are, as I type, filling up. I have turned my phone off as the only way to get it to stop ringing.

Yes, I can confirm I am leaving CNN. It was a very, very difficult decision. I appreciate their willingness to keep me on, but my wife and I decided it was time to move on.

When I told my 7 year old I had decided to leave, she laid on the sofa for an hour crying that she’d never see Anderson Cooper again. She’s never actually met Anderson Cooper. But I have and I’ll miss him and his team and I’ll miss Wolf and his team, and all the other terrific people I’ve worked with these last three years. I deeply regret never working up the courage to pull on Wolf’s beard

For three years I have been a conservative political contributor at the network I grew up watching from Dubai and then home in Louisiana. I grew up wanting to be a Bernard Shaw or a Robert Novak and wound up working for CNN.


For all those liberals who lost money thinking Keith Olbermann would outlast me at Current TV, well, sorry.

Me at CNN was not an easy fit. The first month was tumultuous with several tumultuous times throughout. I liked to think of myself as job security for the public relations department. About the only thing the far right and far left could agree on was that I did not belong at CNN.

For three years I have received unmitigated hate and loathing from the left and, ironically, from a lot of folks on the right. Frankly, I’d like to thank some significant people responsible for my time at CNN, but (1) they know who they are and (2) it’d just generate hate mail for them so I better not.

For some reason saying something negative about the GOP was fine here at RedState, but saying the same damn thing on CNN brought in a flurry of emails from conservatives accusing me of selling out. Funny how that works.

Let me set the record straight in a way I could not were I still under contract because of how self-serving it would sound.  . . . please click here for the rest of the post 


2.  I Don’t LIke Marco Rubio’s Plan
There. I said it.

You’d be surprised how long it has taken to say this. I’ve let multiple friends vet the various drafts of posts I’ve written on this and they all wind up arguing with each other over the details. Is it amnesty or isn’t it? Should we give a path to citizenship or not? We are getting in the weeds when the basics will do.

I think this plan is warmed over McCain-Kennedy and will do nothing to solve the problem. I say this as someone to the left of much of the readership here at RedState and the conservative base.

The GOP was smart to put Marco Rubio as the face of the plan because many of us like him personally, support him still, and consequently don’t want to seem critical.

But the plan makes the actual problem of immigration more difficult to solve. . . . please click here for the rest of the post 

3.  Colorado Energy Office Can’t Account for $252 Million In Last Six Years
A 2012 performance review of the The Colorado Energy Office (CEO) revealed several disturbing findings by the State Auditor last month, which included a non-existent accounting system for CEO’s 34 programs, a runaway budget, and staff who had no knowledge of program goals or standards. The forty-eight page report was was dated December 18, 2012 and included background information on the CEO, key facts and findings, the State Auditor concerns, and recommendations for the CEO moving forward.

The CEO was established via executive order in 1977 as the Office of Energy Conservation. Last year, House Bill 12-1315 changed CEO’s overall mission from promoting renewable energy and energy efficiency to promoting all sources of energy development and earmarked state funding for CEO through Fiscal Year 2017. The CEO now administers various federal and state energy programs, advises stakeholders on energy-related policy and legislation, and promotes energy market development. . . . please click here for the rest of the post 

>> Today's Sponsor
Sincerely yours,

Erick Erickson
Editor-in-Chief, RedState

No comments:

Post a Comment