Saturday, May 9, 2015

SILVER STATE CONFIDENTIAL 05/08/2015

RAPE SURVIVOR FIRES BACK AT BROWER

As reported here on Thursday, “Republican” State Sen. Greg Brower is single-handedly trying to kill “Amanda’s Law” - the campus carry bill that was passed by the State Assembly - by refusing to even give the bill a hearing before his Judiciary Committee, let alone a recorded vote.

In response, rape survivor Amanda Collins, for whom the bill has been named, sent the following email to Sen. Brower late Thursday afternoon…


Dear Senator Brower, 

First off I am Amanda Collins, the catalyst of AB148 and I am reaching out to you, a representative I personally voted and lobbied others to vote for back in November of 2012, in hopes that you would at least allow the bill to be presented in your committee and brought to a vote. 

Four years ago I decided to forgo my anonymity and blindly jump into the legislative arena to bring some much needed restoration to our constitution. 

I never imagined then the process would be more draining, disheartening and more emotionally challenging than testifying before a grand-jury against my rapist, with him sitting only feet away from me. However, it has been.  To say that I have been disappointed in what I have seen from my “front row seat” is an understatement.

In both the 2011 session (when you voted in favor of campus carry measures) and 2013 session the bills pertaining to campus carry were, as you know, single-handedly killed when the chairmen (Horne and Frierson) of the Judiciary committee of the Assembly refused to bring the bill to a vote, hiding behind the blanket statement of “the bill just doesn’t have the support to get passed.” 

When I learned that you were the chairman of the Judiciary committee in the Senate, I had high hopes of this year being the year that all my sweat, time away from my young family and even tears will have been all worth it. 

Based on when I met you back in 2011, I thought of you as a man of integrity and character, who would truly represent his constituents.  Then my father, Thom Collins, forwarded me a message he’d received from you, “We have not yet decided whether to schedule a second hearing on this bill.  (As you know, it did already receive a full hearing in the Assembly.)  I'm not sure if it has enough support in the Senate to merit another hearing. I will let you know if anything changes.”

I was shocked to be reading the very same patronizing line of BS I had received two sessions prior from men who I knew lacked integrity and were taking their orders from leadership. Only this time I was getting it from a man whom I actually voted to represent me.

Not only did I personally vote for you, I lobbied for other people to vote for you because I mistakenly took you for a legislator who stands up for our Second Amendment rights based on your NRA grade and past interactions.  This is nothing short of a strong slap in my face. 

Back in 2013 during his state of the Union address President Obama said that “all victims of gun violence deserve a vote.” 

As a surviving victim of gun violence and sexual assault I am pleading with you, if the bill truly doesn’t have the votes to pass, prove it to me and let me see the vote.  Otherwise give me the courtesy of being upfront and honest as to why you are effectively killing this bill, single handedly, and allowing the victimization of men and women on our University campuses to be perpetuated. 

Thank you for your time and consideration.

Sincerely, 
Amanda Collins

How shameful if Amanda’s Law gets killed this session, unilaterally without a recorded vote, by a Republican who voted for it two sessions ago. 

Sen. Brower should stop trying to hide and protect soft-on-gun-rights colleagues and not only allow a vote on Amanda’s Law, but actively, forcefully and enthusiastically advocate for its passage. 

ROBERSON THE NOT-SO-MAGNIFICENT

My buddy, Jon Ralston – Nevada’s #2 liberal blogger-with-a-taxpayer-subsidized-TV-show – has been heaping praise on RINO Senate Majority Leader Tax Hike Mike Roberson for his supposed political skills and strategic legislative genius. 

Sorry, I just don’t see it.

On major issues that he couldn’t bully his way through with a simple majority so far this session, Roberson has gotten his arse kicked and hat handed to him over and over again. 

Indeed, he’s now lost the Uber bill not once, but twice. 

His Gross Receipts Tax 2.0 bill got out of the Senate but has gotten all but a stake through the heart in the Assembly. 

And today he lost a vote to make the “temporary” tax hikes from 2009 permanent thanks to usually tax-happy Democrats who have voted for those hikes in the past voting against them now.

Yes, there’s still a long way to go in the session and he still holds a lot of cards. But it’s hard to see how former Senate Majority Leader Bill Raggio would have lost so many important votes like the ones Roberson has tanked if he was still running the show.

NEVADA NEWS & VIEWS


Advertising NOW AVAILABLE!  Click here for additional information.


HOW TO SUBSCRIBE

Silver State Confidential is an email newsletter on Nevada politics, public policy and current events published (usually) daily by Chuck Muth, Nevada's #1 Renegade Conservative and the man voted "Most Likely to Irritate Liberals!"  Click on the link below for subscription information…

Subscribe Now 1


No comments:

Post a Comment