HR 2885 BAD FOR AMERICA. CALL CONGRESShttp://thedavelevineshow.ning.com/profiles/blogs/hr-2885-action-alert-by-steve-salvi-at-ojjpac-org
The bill still takes away states’ rights: Section 6 of the bill still preempts states from using their Constitutionally guaranteed rights.
ALERT ALERT ALERT
HR2164, THE LEGAL WORKFORCE ACT HAS BEEN CHANGED TO HR2885..NEW BAD PROVISIONS
HOUSE TO MARK UP ON THURSDAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
We have spent the last several hours pouring over the bill. This bill is still bad and now made worse by the changes from 2164 to 2885.
1. The bill still takes away states’ rights: Section 6 of the bill still preempts states from using their Constitutionally guaranteed rights.
2. The bill now gives dictatorial powers to the secretary of Homeland Security to make up whatever program she wants to. See SEC. 11. BIOMETRIC EMPLOYMENT ELIGIBILITY VERIFICATION. This is an identity card system. Can you say, “ Your papers please”? (in a thick accent). Gone are the protections and limitations that were in 2164.
3. The bill also allows the Secretary of Homeland Security to use any document she wishes to prove identity!
In a belated and half hearted attempt to appease us, the bill has a new provision: The problem is that Section B conflicts with C. The secretary or her designee has the right to determine “whether” they will act or not. We all know how well that has worked for us!
12) OFFICE FOR STATE AND LOCAL GOVERNMENT COMPLAINTS- The Secretary of Homeland Security shall establish an office–
`(A) to which State and local government agencies may submit information indicating potential violations of subsection (a), (b), or (g)(1) that were generated in the normal course of law enforcement or the normal course of other official activities in the State or locality;
`(B) that is required to indicate to the complaining State or local agency within 5 business days of the filing of such a complaint by identifying whether the Secretary will further investigate the information provided;
`(C) that is required to investigate those complaints filed by State or local government agencies that, on their face, have a substantial probability of validity;
`(D) that is required to notify the complaining State or local agency of the results of any such investigation conducted; and
`(E) that is required to report to the Congress annually the number of complaints received under this paragraph, the States and localities that filed such complaints, and the resolution of the complaints investigated by the Secretary.’; and
5. here is the link to the bill
Call your Congressman now. Tell them that we want HR 2885 changed to remove the State Preemption, remove the words regarding “whether” in section 12, B and remove or restrict the Biometirc Card.
Here is a list of the Judiciary Committee Members to call also; the second name is the staff person.
If they fail to amend as we say, we must OPPOSE this bill.